In 1910 the Hatfield Main Colliery Company was formed and shaft sinking commenced soon after with the first being completed in 1916 and the second the following year. The colliery was bought by the Carlton Main Colliery Co in 1927.
The National Coal Board merged the Hatfield and Thorne collieries in 1967, separated them in 1978 and merged them once more in 1986. In 1993 the combined pit was closed by British Coal.
A management buyout in 1994 resulted in the colliery being reopened and coal was once more being produced by July that year, with a first year profit of £2.4 million. The company went into receivership in 2001. Later that year the colliery was reopened by Coalpower, run by Richard Budge, but this too was closed by early 2004.
The current owners, Powerfuel, also run by Richard Budge, was formed in 2006 and recommenced coal production in 2007.
On 12th February 2013 a slippage of the waste heap at the side at the side of the Doncaster to Scunthorpe railway lines badly damaged these. It is estimated that the repairs will take 6 months to complete.
|Copyright © 2013 Northern Mine Research Society - All Rights Reserved|