The shafts at this colliery, three kilometres north of Heywood, were 122 metres deep to the Mountain Mine. It was being worked by Robert Lees, James Greenwood & James Lord in 1854. The same people probably comprised the Ashworth Coal Co. which had the colliery in 1855. Members of the Stott family owned Ashworth from 1859 to 1880.
The Ashworth Colliery Co. Ltd worked it from 1885 until 1898, when it was abandoned. In the latter period, 40 persons worked underground, with seven on the surface.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries