This colliery stood on land behind the houses on Green Lane and Valley Road. It succeeded an earlier one (the Old Pit), about 450 metres to the ENE, on what is now Boarshaw Playing Fields, between the canal and the cemetery. The latter had its own spur from the Rochdale canal and a tram road ran down hill into the valley where there was a mill and a bleach works.
It worked the Royley Mine, but it is not known when Boarshaw was sunk. It was, however, described as a new one in 1857. It was being worked by Thomas Roscow & Co. in 1854 and 1855. Ownership had passed to Wild, Haigh & Co. by 1859 and changed again by 1865 to the Oldham, Middleton & Rochdale Colliery Co. Ltd.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries