The trustees and executor of the wills of John and Charles Milnes, late of Castleton near Rochdale, offered to sell the freehold estate and colliery in June 1827. This was New Burnedge, which Butterworth tells us had a 24 hp steam engine in 1832. It was 73 metres deep, probably to the Royley Mine because an area of that coal had been thrown down by faulting. A 270 metre long tram road linked the pit to a landsale alongside the Shaw to Rochdale road.
The family appear to have kept an interest, however because Taylor, Milne and Co. was working the colliery in 1842. They employed 32 men and boys. The firm had become Taylor, Lord and Co. from 1846 to 1848, but it closed around 1851.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Butterworth, E. Historical Sketches of Oldham, 1832 edn.