This drift near High Wardle was worked by James Dearden, the Lord of the Manor of Rochdale, from 1855 to 1875. The main source of coal was the Upper Mountain (or Forty Yards) Mine, but a little Lower Mountain Mine was worked towards the end. Dearden built a tramway to carry the coal 1.2 km south-south-east over the moor to the saddle in the hill between Wardle and Whitworth. From there it could be carted in either direction. He was succeeded by James G. Dearden from 1880 until closure early in 1901.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries