William Jones & Co. sank the shafts here, reaching the Black and Bent Mines at 87 and 142 metres respectively. Denton Lane was linked to the L&YR’s Middleton Junction and Oldham Branch by a 260 metre long line to the company’s Stockfield Colliery.
Until 1865 the colliery was listed under the group name Chadderton, which included Ferney Field and Stockfield. In August 1858, however, the Chamber Colliery Co. Ltd took the group over.
Denton Lane was discontinued in June 1894, possibly as a consequence of the water from the Rochdale Canal flooding into Ferney Field, to which it was linked underground. If so, the tubbing in the shafts at Stockfield prevented it sharing the same fate.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Fanning, G. Oldham Coal (British Mining No.68, 2001)