A colliery called Fairbottom worked in the late seventeenth century. It was a colliery in the old sense, where a number of shafts were sunk over a significant area. Some of those pits, e.g. Copperas House (or Woodpark from 1866), later became collieries in their own right, but between 1854 and 1865, under Leeses & Booth, it was listed as Fairbottom Colliery.
At some time in the eighteenth century, an atmospheric pumping engine, of the Newcomen type, was put on a shaft at Fairbottom Bobs near the River Medlock. Although it stopped work in the late 1820s it survived, though in a dilapidated condition, until the 1920s. It was then purchased from Lord Stamford and shipped to the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Michigan, where it is on display.
See alsoReturn to previous page