This small drift was worked for the Lower Mountain and Lower Foot Mines by James Dearden between 1859 and 1875. From 1880 to 1885 ownership was credited to James G. Dearden, who also had collieries on Todmorden Moor.
The Handle Hall Colliery Co. briefly reopened the drift to work the Lower Mountain Mine in the late 1920s, but abandoned it in May 1930.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Abandonment Plan No. 11415