The shafts at this colliery, between Glodwick and the fabled Oldham Mumps, were 364 metres deep to the Royley Mine. No date of sinking is known, but an explosion at Rhodes Bank Colliery on July 2th 1841 killed three members of the Garforth family.
Leeses, Jones & Co. was running the colliery from 1869 to 1875, and its returns to the List of Mines are included with the company’s Holebottom Colliery from 1854 to 1865. Rhodes Bank passed to the Chamber Colliery Co. Ltd from 1880 to 1885, but must have been nearing exhaustion and closed soon afterwards.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Fanning, G. Oldham Coal (British Mining No.68, 2001)