This colliery, near Milnrow, was linked to Butterworth Hall colliery by a 1.5 km long tramway for part of its life. It was sunk between 1861 and 1864 by Richard & William Stott, and worked the Lower Mountain Mine. They worked until the late 1870s, when the colliery appears to have closed.
Platt Bros & Co. Ltd reopened Tunshill between 1881 and 1884 and worked until it was inundated on May 27th 1887. It appears to have been recovered, but from 1895 until 1905 Tunshill was described as discontinued.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries