The Cliviger Coal Co. sank two 88 metre deep shafts to the Arley Mine in 1860. That seam was worked until 1940, but because a drift had been driven to the Dandy Mine in the mid 1930s the colliery escaped closure.

The NCB replaced the tub haulage system with conveyor belts in 1947, built a pithead baths and canteen (opened in 1953) and introduced longwall coal cutters in 1957. Copy was closed in March 1964. The colliery baths stood for a long time after closure and became increasing vandalised.

Further reading:

Return to previous page