A remote colliery sunk on the edge of Hoddlesden Moss by Joseph Place & Sons Ltd in 1934. The NCB drove a 1 in 3 drift from surface in order to work an area of Upper & Lower Mountain Mines and the Stoneware seam under Orrell Moss. It employed an average of 94 men underground and 29 on the surface. The initial working was by board and pillar, but the pillars were being removed from the late 1950s until closure on September 29th 1961.

Further reading:

Return to previous page