Fernhill Colliery 1982
Copyright © Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

In 1869 Ebenezer Lewis sank the No 1 and No 2 pits down to the six feet seam. Two years later he sold them to a partnership of Messrs. Crowley, John and Oldroyd. They in turn sold the pits to George Watkinson and Sons in 1877, who also bought the North Dunraven (Blaenrhondda) Pit in 1893 and merged this pit with Fernhill Colliery, forming a public company called Fernhill Collieries Limited. In 1910 the Cambrian Trust Limited took over this company, and by 1913 over 1700 men were employed.

In 1920 the company became part of the Welsh Associated Collieries Limited and they sunk the last pit, No 5. This conpany merged with Powell Duffryn in 1935, becoming Powell Duffryn Associated Collieries Limited who ran the Collieries until nationalisation in 1947.

After Nationalisation, the colliery employed over 1000 men and worked the Four Feet, Nine-Feet, New and Two-Feet seams. Fernhill merged with Tower Colliery, Hiwaun in 1966 and its coal was raised at Tower; the Fernhill section was finally closed in 1978.

 

Return to previous page