The demand for coal declined at the second half of the 19th Century and this led to the closure of many collieries. Hook Colliery was one of the exceptions, and it continued to be mined for many years. The arrival of the railway into the county meant that large amounts of coal could be transported overland to the market.
Hook Colliery closed in 1948 after several hundred years of working. The last colliery to be worked in the county was Wood Level at Kilgetty, which remained open until 1950.
There are over 50 old pits and mines found scattered around the county. Some remains can still be found, such as the railway tunnel between Wisemans Bridge and Poppit Sands, the engine house at Grove Colliery, the old quays at Cresswell Quay and the chimney at Trefrane Cliff Colliery near Nolton.
Text and photograph used with the kind permission of the Pembrokeshire Virtual Museum website where further details can be found.Return to previous page