This area is located at the southern most end of the Staffordshire coalfield, the collieries themselves are just south of the border.
In the local government reorganisation in 1974 this area became part of Staffordshire and the West Midlands.
Homer Hill Colliery opened in 1869 and worked coal, ironstone and fireclay, and closed in 1928.
Lanes End was at the western end of Lydegreen Lane, now called Lyde Green, just before the railway bridge. It was here that the inclined tramway from the mine linked to the railway sidings.
When the coal industry was nationalised in 1947, there were only 2 collieries in Worcestershire and these both closed over 50 years ago.