Between 1910 and 1913 J. & H. Walsworth sank two shafts to the Blocking coal at Swincliff, near Gomersal. This seam, which in neighbouring collieries averaged 0.7 metres thick, was worked under its alternative name, the Silkstone seam, from 1914 to 1916 and again in 1919 and 1920. The principal source of coal, however, was the Beeston (or Shertcliffe) seam, some 64.5 metres deeper and about 0.6 metres thick. The Black Bed, 79 metres lower again, was worked from 1910 to 1913. It was around 0.8 metres thick.

Interestingly, in 1914 ownership is credited to Mrs Florence Walsworth, but from 1915 until the end of 1946 Birkenshaw was worked by Birkenshaw Collieries Co. Ltd. The National Coal Board took over in 1947 and continued working the Beeston until 1954 when it merged with Gomersal, some 875 metres to the S.W.

Further reading:

  • NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries


Return to previous page