On the Tan Hill coalfield’s eastern edge, the seam outcrops on the northern side of William Gill, in Arkengarthdale, where it was worked from shafts and a level, which was eventually stopped by water. In 1804 the coal, which was 15 inches thick, was selling at 3.5d per corf or tub. William Gill coal was found to burn with a white, intense heat, but it would not coke. Nevertheless, some cinder ovens are shown on the 1856 Ordnance Survey map.
Gill, M.C. “Great Dales Coalfield, Eastern Areas” British Mining No.86 (2008), pp.68-108Return to previous page