Grinkle Mine was an inland drift mine opened in 1875 to supersede coastal mining at Port Mulgrave.
All the output was taken by a 3 feet gauge loco-worked line the 2½ miles to the Port for shipping to Jarrow on the Tyne.
So remote was the location that a passenger service was provided for the miners.
In 1916 an incline was built to provide access to the standard gauge rail system.
The mine closed in 1930.Return to previous page