Wheal Charlotte Mine is one mile south of Towanroath.
The mine was was known as North Towan when it opened in 1806, as its backers hoped to exploit the rich copper lode that was yielding good profits at Wheal Towan. However, the results were disappointing and it was soon closed.
It was reopened to work copper in the 1830s, when it was renamed New Charlotte after Great Wheal Charlotte, another nearby mine. It was working in 1856 and in 1877 it was renamed as Charlotte United.
Wheal Charlotte and Charlotte United were bought by the National Trust in 1956 and there is access on foot to the entire area.Return to previous page