Wheal Coates mine produced mainly tin, but also some copper.
The mine opened in 1872 with a 21 year lease when the Towanroath engine houses for winding and the stamps were built. The pumping engine house of this tin and copper mine was fairly massive to pump out the deeper levels which ran out beneath the sea. The shafts were sunk down to 90 fathoms (540 feet) and 70 men were employed.
The mine closed in 1889, although an attempt was made to reopen it in 1911 which appears to have been unsuccessful, no further work was done after 1914. Wheal Coates today is notable for its three of engine houses for winding pumping and stamping, standing dramatically on the cliffs.
The site is now maintained by the National Trust, which has consolidated all the structures. Wheal Coates, Towanroath Shaft is now Listed Grade II.Return to previous page