Geevor stands on the coast, two miles north of St Just. It was a fairly successful tin mine in the nineteenth century, but under a new company formed in 1906 and reorganised in 1911, when it became the Geevor Tin Mines Ltd, its working area was greatly expanded by absorbing failed neighbours, North Levant and Wheal Stennack Mines.
Modernisation, including new shafts, led to operations being centred at Wetherhead’s and, later, Victory Shafts. Its workings extended in all directions, some of them being under the sea. Victory Shaft, begun in 1918 this vertical shaft reached a depth of 1,575 feet.
In 1965 Geevor was extended to include the Boscaswell Downs Mine. The workings extend for more than 2 square miles around Victory Shaft and extending out under the Atlantic Ocean.
Towards the end of its life it was proposed to reopen Allen’s Shaft as a base for the exploration of the undersea extensions of the old Wheal Owles and Wheal Edward workings.
Although it was in an area which had been heavily mined for tin and copper, Geevor’s use of modern techniques to cut working costs and improve overall efficiency allowed it to be worked profitably until low prices forced its closure in February 1990.
For further information please see:
Geevor Tin Mine, Pendeen, Penzance, Cornwall, TR19 7EW, 01736 788662
Please note NMRS does not have any control over the contents of external websites.Return to previous page