It was once part of a group known as Wheal Reath Consols taken over by the St Ives Consolidated Mines Ltd in 1908. During the depression following the 1914-18 war by which time Thermo Electric Corporation Ltd had taken over it continued to produce tin, closing in 1923. When tin prices improved Baltrick Tin Ltd diamond-drilled Giew in 1965-67 but poor results put paid to further investigation.
It is also known as South Providence and in its early origins in the 1700s was known as Gehue Bounds.
This mine can be found on OS Explorer Map 102. Ref SW501372Return to previous page