wanlockheadThe 18th century mine is located in the village at an elevation of 1195 feet and has a shaft sunk on the West Grove vein to a depth of 240 fathoms on the slope of the vein.

The driving of the Glenglass adit around 1740 revealed a very rich source of ore, which was raised until 1770, when the mine was abandoned due to its unprofitability.

It was re-opened and worked between 1842 and 1850; a shoot of ore at the south end proved that the mine was one of the richest in Scotland until its closure after WWII.

Return to previous page