Low Bishopside – SE 174658
A field in the south-east corner of Bishopside is called Bale Hill, and in September 1527 the abbot of Fountains made an agreement with Marmaduke Bayn of Bridgehouse, and John Parkinson and William Lupton of Bishopside, to carry all the lead delivered to them at
“Greenhow Moor to the bale hills in the Bishopside, where they would burn (smelt) it at their own charge, not using Abbey wood unless paid for; to make one fother of lead from each 8 loads of ore”
The term of the contract was to be at the will of the Abbot.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 2, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1993, British Mining No 48, pp 132-151