Fremington – NZ 019028
On a plan of the manor of Arkengarthdale, made in 1718, Farndale mill is shown as a small building on the opposite side of the stream from the foot of Tanner Rake Hush.
It was working by 1625, when it is mentioned in the accounts of Storthwaite Hall, and, by 1729, Farndale mill was run as a jobbing mill by a company of six men who split it into twelve shares. Five of the partners held eleven shares between them, and Charles Bathurst had one. In August of the latter year, however, Bathurst bought out his partners and became sole owner. An interesting aspect of this sale is the inclusion of a peat house, when most other mills were still burning chopwood.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 1, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1992, British Mining No 45, pp 111-150