Muker – NY 935006
Where then was Lord Pomfret building a mill in 1769 if, as is almost certain, Swinnergill mill was built by Messrs Hopper? The answer can only be at Lownathwaite, which is linked by a track to Swinnergill. This is confirmed in 1784, when Lord Pomfret leased Lownathwaite mine to George Jackson & Leonard Raw and allowed them to use his mill nearby. It appears that the mill was used for smelting ore raised at Lownathwaite, Blakethwaite, Lane End and maybe Swinnergill until at least 1824, when it was replaced by Blakethwaite mill.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 1, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1992, British Mining No 45, pp 111-150