Arkengarthdale – NY 989019
This mill, near Moulds Bottom, also had a stamp mill but it is not known when either of them was built. In May 1741, however, the Grassington Barmaster, Soloman Bean, and Stephen Barrat visited Swaledale to see a stamp mill. Despite this reference to Swaledale, however, it is likely that Bean went to High Moulds, because no other mill in the area is known to have had stamps so early.
The mills were supplied with water from a nearby reservoir which, in turn, was filled by a le at from Wetshaw Bottom. Smelting at High Moulds continued until 1804, when Easterby Hall & Company’s Octagon mill began. work.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 1, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1992, British Mining No 45, pp 111-150