Welcome to the our new website.
Here you will find the same content as the previous website, but better arranged and easier to navigate. Not everything is here yet, we are still actively transferring files across and it may be some weeks yet before this process is complete.
Why a new website? Our previous one required that you understand programming to be able to make changes – our primary reason is therefore that we wanted something that could be easily updated by anyone; and here it is. We also had to deal with the increasing number of people using smart phones and tablets to access the internet; this new website is responsive and collapses the pages to fit these smaller screens. Finding your way around should be easier too and new items like this will keep you informed about what is happening. Visitors too, should find it easier to find out who we are and what we do.
We welcome your feedback about what you liked, and what you didn’t. Suggestions for what else we could add and photographs to add will also be great. Please contact us.
For those of you who want to go straight to the goodies, the information link on the menu is what you want. Here you can find
- Mines – select the type of mine that you want and then follow the interactive maps down to individual mines. Please note that these pages deal mainly with the larger mines, but give detailed information about them. You have found a mine with no information? There are many, but I only have one pair of hands – care to help? If so, contact the webmaster
- Online Mapping – this adds a layer to Google Maps showing tens of thousands of mine locations, but with very basic details. We haven’t got them all – if you find some missing, then our recorder will be glad to hear from you.
- Records – just part of our extensive collection of records.
- Resources – some information to help you with your studies.
- Project Grants – As part of our charitable function, we have been making grants towards mining-related projects for some years now.
The members area is now streamlined and an integral part of the website. This area contains all the back issues of newsletters dating back to the 1960s, full AGM & GM reports, further information & contacts for Society meets and your discount code for buying publications. This area is available for MEMBERS ONLY. If you have forgotten your password you can reset it by clicking the “Lost your password?” link. If you still have difficulty then please contact the membership secretary who will verify your membership and provide assistance.
To search the site, please use the magnifying glass in the blue circle on the menu bar.