British Mining No 81 – The Van Mines
The Van Mine, near Llanidloes, was a relative latecomer to the UK lead mining scene when it was developed by Mr E. Morris of Oswestry and Mr J. Howell of Hawarden. After eleven years of poor results, they cut the Van Lode in 1862 and created one of Britain’s most productive mines. Van peaked in 1877, producing 6,470 tons of lead and 2,404 tons of zinc concentrates and continued in operation until 1921. During the latter half of the nineteenth century the mine produced 95,739 tons of lead concentrates, 28,424 tons of zinc blende and 756,142 ozs of silver. The lode was so extensive that deads from surrounding areas were brought in to stabilise the workings by packing them.
The monograph also describes the history of other mines which worked the Van Lode including: East Van, Central Van, Bryntail or Van Consols, Great West Van, and Van United Mines together with nine others, so great was the attraction of the Van name. The monograph describes the way in which mines were promoted, money raised and dividends paid in the late nineteenth century. In addition to the corporate bluster there were a few strikes and some accidents.
The author also includes descriptions of the sites as they are today.
A5 144pp, 54 illustrations, 5 appendices
(NMRS members discount 25%)
Booksellers and trade terms on request