SURFACE – We left the main track and walked towards Beevers Mine, on a small path that passes a flooded shaft, a Meerstone was found in this area. The top of the 60 fathom deep Engine Shaft is guarded by a metal grid.
Work started on this shaft in August 1836,water was a problem from the start and initially the shaft was drained using a set of rods from the nearby Cockbur Wheel. This arrangement lasted until the winter of 1837/8 when the wheel at Beevers was built. The fine, well preserved pump rod lobby was inspected, there appears to be 3 gates between the entrance and the shaft.
One member thought there were pump rods in the shaft but we could not see them. There are two Bouse Teams in this area, one is in good condition though it appears people are trying to fill it with rocks, some small amount of work is required here. The Manway Shaft and the Mill were also investigated.
On the way back to the Duke’s road we found a Meerstone marked ISF, the F is very indistinct. We followed the road across the embankment over the valley of
Hebden Beck where we left the Low Moor and entered the High Moor. Just inside the boundary wall is…
The full report and photographs can be found in the November 2019 newsletter.