Announcement Date: August 18, 2018
SURFACE – A small party of members arrived mid-morning at Skelton Park Mine in Cleveland and were met by Colin Keighley and Chris Twigg of Cleveland Mining Heritage Society. We first went into the mine power house where air compressors were once housed and D.C. power was generated, for an introductory chat and a look at some large copies mine plans of the Cleveland area, historical photos and artefacts from the site. The large derelict building is now used by a Barn Owl as its dining room.
Park Pit opened in 1872 the mine buildings were built of local stone for aesthetic reasons because the site was within view of Upleatham Hall across the valley. The site consists of a complete range of ironstone mine buildings and is grade two listed.
A full report and photographs can be found in the November 2018 Newsletter