AGECROFT. Pendlebury, Lancashire. 4th. January, 1859.
The colliery was owned by Andrew Knowles and Son and seven, colliers and drawers were killed when they fell down the pit from the cage when it was drawn into the headgear. A leather band indicator had been installed about an hour and a half before the accident and it had become loose. The engineman trusted solely on the bell.
Mines Inspectors Report, 1859. Mr. Joseph Dickenson.
Information supplied by Ian Winstanley and the Coal Mining History Resource Centre.Return to previous page