DOUGLAS BANK. Wigan, Lancashire, 4th. January, 1865.
Douglas Bank Colliery was the property of John G. Morris and five sinkers and several others were at work at the bottom of a new shaft, 16 feet in diameter and 500 yards deep. The sides had been cased or lined throughout but when they began to sink another length, about 200 yards of lining collapsed killing the five sinkers.
Mines Inspectors Report. 1865. Mr. Higson.
Information supplied by Ian Winstanley and the Coal Mining History Resource Centre.Return to previous page