HAYDOCK. Haydock, Lancashire. September, 1832.
The victims of a disaster buried at St. Thomas’ Ashton-in-Makerfield. The Burial register states that they were “all killed by the explosion of inflammable air in a coal pit.” The victims were buried on the 25th September.
Those who died were:
- Peter Cunliffe aged 13 years, collier.
- John Martlew aged 16 years, collier.
- Daniel Holding aged 13 years.
- Peter Cunliffe aged 14 years.
- William Forshaw aged 14 years.
- Thomas Forshaw aged 9 years.
Latimers’s Local Records. p.10.
Annals of Coal Mining. Galloway, Vol.1, p.504.
Information supplied by Ian Winstanley and the Coal Mining History Resource Centre.Return to previous page