In 1897 the Wigan Coal & Iron Co. began sinking a new colliery at Manton, south of Worksop, to work the Top Hard or Barnsley seam. This seam was found at a depth of 718 yards, and coal getting began in June 1905 and continued until 1964.
The Parkgate seam was worked between 1962 and 1994, and in 1991 production of coal from the Flockton seam began.
The February 1994 issue of Coal News reported that Manton was to be closed by the middle of that month. It actually closed on February 11th.
1897-1910 Wigan Coal & Iron Co.
1915-1925 Wigan Coal & Iron Co. Ltd
1930-1946 Wigan Coal Corporation Ltd
1947-1987 National Coal Board
1987-1994 British Coal Corporation
Historical Detail from the Wigan Coal & Iron Co. period
No.1 Pit – 20 feet diameter, sunk through Permian strata, 193 yards. Pumping only.
No.2 Pit (Upcast) – 20 feet dia., sunk to 733 yards, intersecting the following seams:-
Wathwood 547 yds,
High Hazle 641 yds,
Top Hard 718 yds. (Top Hard being an extension of the Barnsley Main).
No.3 Pit (Downcast) – 20 feet dia., sunk to 733 yards, details as No.2 Pit.
No.4 Pit – began sinking late 1940s to win the Deep Soft at 911 yards and the Parkgate at 957 yards.
No.2 Pit – deepened to Parkgate at same time as No.4 sinking.
No.1 Pit – Single cage, timber (originally) headgear 51 feet high to pulley centre. Winding engine with 12 feet dia. drum. (NOTE – Wood & Gee supplied a 18 inches x 30 inches winding engine to WC&ICo., in 1901).
No.2 Pit – Twin cylinder horizontal engine by Wood & Gee, 26 inches x 54 inches, bi-cylindro-conical drum 14 feet – 24 feet dia., post brakes. Headgear lattice girder, 20 feet dia. pulleys. Equipped with drop cages for simultaneous decking, double deck cages, 3 tubs per deck.
No.3 Pit – Twin cylinder horizontal engine, Markham & Co. Ltd, Chesterfield, 1906, 43 inches x 84 inches bi-cylindro-conical drum 19 feet – 25 feet 9 inches, post brakes, headgear steel lattice girder, 20 feet dia. pulleys. Equipped with drop cages.
No.4 Pit – equipped with electric winding and 12½ ton capacity skips. Nos. 2 & 3 Pits equipped with electric winders by NCB.
4000cfm. Belliss & Morcom 2-stage air compressor, air at 80psi.
Daniel Adamson mixed-pressure turbo-alternators, 500 volt, Surface condenser by Daniel Adamson with Mather; Platt circulating pumps. 1500kW.
Additional 2000kW. turbo-alternator installed 1933.
Connection also to public electricity supply.
Approx. 3.6 million gallons pumped per day. Steam and electric pumps provided.
Rees Roturbo centrifugal pump, 87,000gph., 272hp. motor.
Mather & Platt “Medivane” 2-stage centrifugal pump, 90,000gph., 272hp.
Peter Brotherhood single stage turbine 2900rpm., 225hp., coupled to Mather & Platt “Medivane” centrifugal pump, 90,000gph., 6 inches dia. steam main from surface, 10 inches, exhaust steam main to condenser at surface.
Three sets of 3-throw ram pumps 14 inches x 19 inches, 120hp. motors.
Mather & Platt “Medivane” centrifugal pump, 85,000 gph.
Two pairs of Evans duplex pumps, compound, 22 inches + 38 inches x 24 inches steam cylinders, 14 inches dia. rams. Steam from surface by 6 inches main, exhaust to surface 16 inches dia. main.
Walker “Indestructible” fan No. 11856, (28-2-05), 24 feet x 8 feet, 350,000cfm. at 4½ inches wg., fan pulley 9 feet dia., 14 – 1¾ inches ropes. Cross-compound engine, Corliss valves, Dobson trip gear, 21 inches + 38 inches x 48 inches, vertical condenser, steam 100 psi., flywheel 18 feet diameter.
Thirteen Lancashire boilers, 105psi., some boilers fitted with slurry burning furnaces 1930’s. Circular section brick chimney to standard WC&ICo. design.
Return to previous page