In 1889 Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge formed the Bolsover Colliery Co. Ltd which secured a lease on land near Edwinstowe to work for coal.
Thoresby colliery was opened in 1925 when two shafts were sunk to a depth of 2,260 feet (690m). The shafts were deepened by 358 feet (109m) in the 1950s.
Coal was worked by from the Deep Soft and the High Hazels seams, and after the closure of Ollerton Colliery in 1977, the Parkgate seam.
After privatization of the National Coal Board in the 1990s the mine was taken over by RJB Mining who worked the mine until closure in July 2015.Return to previous page