This colliery at Milnrow was, for part of its life, linked to Tunshill colliery by a 1.5 km long tramway. It was sunk between 1861 and 1864 by Richard & William Stott, and worked the Lower Mountain Mine at a depth of 119 metres. They worked until the late 1870s, when the colliery appears to have closed.
Platt Bros & Co. Ltd reopened Butterworth Hall between 1881 and 1884 and worked until closure in April in 1928. Between 1895 and 1925 they employed an average of 173 men underground and 62 on the surface.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries