This colliery had its own 500 metre long branch of the Rochdale Canal. William Jones & Co. began sinking a three metre diameter shaft here in 1852 and reached the Great and Black Mines at 68 and 128 metres respectively. Production began around 1855. In its early years (1854 to 1865) the colliery was listed under the name Chadderton, which probably included Denton Lane and Stockfield. In August 1858, however, the Chamber Colliery Co. Ltd took over the Chadderton group.
The latter company concentrated work on the Bent Mine, including removal of pillars left to support the Rochdale Canal. The consequent subsidence let water down into the workings and in June 1894 Ferney Field was discontinued. In 1897 it was abandoned.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Fanning, G. Oldham Coal (British Mining No.68, 2001)