The shafts here were sunk to the Black Mine, at a depth of 168 metres, before 1840. At least one was deepened to 229 metres, which probably means that the Lower Neddy Mine was also worked. James Collinge & Co. were the owners between 1854 and 1875, followed by the Glodwick Colliery Co. in 1880. The colliery closed soon afterwards and the area was developed for housing.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Fanning, G. Oldham Coal (British Mining No.68, 2001)