Holebottom Colliery was situated on Moss Street (now named Fairbottom Street) in Oldham. In 1854 the colliery was operated by Lees, Jones & Co, and this continued until 1878.
In August 1876 the rotary beam engine at Holebottom was giving 17 strokes/minute and the pumps working 6 strokes/minute. The shaft was 177 yards deep to the Lower Bent seam, passing through five other seams on the way
Operation passed to Jones and Company in 1878 but legal disputes and geological problems led to closure around 1880.
In 1841 this colliery and the nearby Greenacres Colliery employed between them : 66 men aged 21 and over, 21 young persons (male) aged between 13 & 18, and 5 boys aged under 13 years.Return to previous page