This colliery, which was by William Jones & Co., probably in the early 1860s, was next to the L&YR’s Middleton Junction and Oldham Branch. The shafts encountered old workings from its neighbours, Ferney Field or Denton Lane, and a 64 metre long section of iron tubbing was used to prevent the inflow of water. The 0.9 metres thick Royley Mine met and worked at a depth of 310 metres.
The winding engines at Stockfield were bought as a pair in 1865, and had 26 inch cylinders and a five foot stroke. One of them was moved to Ferney Field, to replace a damaged engine there, in July 1874.
Stockfield closed in 1914.
- NMRS Records, Gazetteer of British Collieries
- Fanning, G. Oldham Coal (British Mining No.68, 2001)