This small colliery was opened by the Deerplay Colliery Co. Ltd in 1915. Because it straddles the Deerplay Fault it was able to work a small area of Arley Mine on the fault’s (northern) downthrow side, and the Lower Mountain on its southern side. The latter was worked from a drift in Black Clough some 1.2 km NNW of Deerplay. The company temporarily closed the colliery in February 1940.
The NCB did some work here between 1948 and 1950, presumably getting the last coal out before Deerplay went into production.
A ginney at the mine went straight over the hillside to a coal staith. The remains of this can be seen beside the Thieveley Pike triangulation point, 1470 feet above sea level.
- Nadin, J. 1997 The Coal Mines of East-Lancashire (British Mining No.58, NMRS)