The Exors of Col. Hargreaves began sinking this colliery in 1876 and found that it was near a fault which threw the Arley Mine down 45 metres. The colliery was, therefore, worked on two horizons with shafts 283 and 238 metres deep. The Blindstone Mine was also worked between 1905 and 1920.
Under the NCB the Dandy Mine was worked along with the Arley, but the last coal was raised at Clifton on December 30th 1955. After closure, one shaft was retained for use as pumping station until Bank Hall closed in March 1971.
Return to previous page