This colliery, close to the centre of Accrington, was sunk to the Lower Mountain Mine by George Hargreaves & Co. between 1880 and 1892.
That company employed an average of 160 men below ground and 19 on the surface. The NCB, however, increased employment to 182 men underground and 25 on the surface. By 1960, however, they were shedding labour rapidly and the colliery closed on June 29th 1962.
- Nadin, J. 1999 Coal Mines Around Accrington and Blackburn (British Mining No.64, NMRS)