This was a satellite shaft belonging to, and 1 Km to the NW of, Reedley Colliery. It was sunk to work the Arley Yard between 1910 and 1911 and originally was a downcast shaft for Reedley. It was later fitted with a fan and used as an upcast.
In the 1950s it also acted as upcast for the two Fence drifts. The Coal Board opened the Wood End Drift in 1954, but the mine ceased production in April 1959.
- Nadin, J. 1997 The Coal Mines of East-Lancashire (British Mining No.58, NMRS)
Return to previous page