Formerly Winstanley No. 4 pit, it was sunk in 1837 and worked by the Windy Arbour Colliery Company from the early 1920s.
Soon after nationalisation in 1947, 105 miners and 38 surface workers were employed, making it one of the largest licensed mines in the country.
It closed in 1977, then operated on a small scale until 1979. Joseph Cunliffe of Bryn was a collier there.
Information supplied by Ian Winstanley and the Coal Mining History Resource Centre.Return to previous page