The first sod was cut in a ceremony on 30th July 1924, presided over by the Duke of Sutherland for the Stafford Coal & Iron Co. Ltd. The sinking of No 1 shaft commenced soon after, but this was seriously delayed by the discovery of a fast flowing underground stream; it was necessary to freeze the ground before operations could be resumed. The planned No 2 shaft was not done at this time and the second access was via an underground connection to Kemball Colliery.
After Nationalisation in 1947, the existing shaft capacity was found to be hopelessly inadequate and the sinking of No 2 shaft was commenced in 1950. Fitted with the distinctive “A” framed headstocks, this became the main drawing shaft in 1956. No 2 shaft was fitted with two winders; a standard electric winder on one side operating down to the 612 yard level and a ground mounted Koepe electric winder operating down to the 1062 yard level. The steam engine on No 1 shaft was replaced by a tower mounted Koepe electric winder directly above the shaft. With this second means of access the underground link to Kemball Colliery became redundant, and was sealed.
In 1974 it was decided to merge Hem Heath and Florence Collieries and link them together underground. A 1 in 4 inclined drift was driven from Hem Heath to provide coal drawing for both collieries.
In the late 1980s the two collieries were fully merged, under a single management, and renamed Trentham West & East, but closed in 1993 as they were “not required” by British Coal.
Further information:Return to previous page