Brynamman, Amman Valley SN71161264

This was an anthracite drift mine that was owned by the Amman Iron Company at least between 1858 and 1883. Abandoned mines records show that the Amman, Bully Bach slant abandoned the Lower seam prior to July 1884.

In 1908 it was owned by the Amman Anthracite Colliery Limited and managed by D.J. Thomas. It employed 65 men underground and 22 on the surface. In 1913 Amman Anthracite Colliery is not shown as working although Amman Anthracite Collieries Limited is shown as employing 94 men in the Pencraig Drift. This company was owned by Cann & Glass Limited.

Amman Anthracite Colliery is shown as being worked by Cann & Glass in 1917 and in 1918 employed 75 men underground and 25 men on the surface with the manager being T. Morgan. It was still being worked by Amman Anthracite Collieries in 1923 when Richard Rees was the manager and it employed 103 men working underground and 42 men working at the surface of the mine. By 1925 it was in the hands of the United Anthracite Collieries Limited and in 1930 it was owned by Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Limited and employed a similar manpower to 1923 and produced 50,000 tons of coal. The manager was still Richard Rees.

It was not listed in 1932.

On the 13th of May 1879, John Morgan, aged 52 years and a fireman, died under a fall of the roof. While on the 12th of May 1883, John Davies, aged 45 years and a labourer, was killed when he fell under moving trams of coal.

Some statistics:

  • 1905: Manpower: 28.
  • 1908/9: Manpower: 87.
  • 1913: Manpower: 94.
  • 1918: Manpower: 100.
  • 1923: Manpower: 145.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.


Return to previous page