Near Cwmbwrgwm, Afan Lwyd Valley

There was a level working in this area as early as 1798 when the coal under it was leased for 21 years by John Morgan. There was another Glynnantddu in 1836 when a level of that name was worked by Moses and Phelps of the Victoria Iron Company. In 1843 and was one of the 37 collieries operated by the Ebbw Vale Steel Iron and Coal Company.

At that time it was shown on sketch maps to be on the Afan Lwyd side of the mountain dividing the Ebbw Fach and Afan Lwyd valleys. Yet old mining plans put the entrance of a Glynnantddu Level on the Abertillery side of the mountain.

On the 16th of August 1856, Thomas Hillier, a collier, was killed by a roof fall. He was only eleven years of age.

It was still listed by this company in 1878 when it was managed by J. Powell. From 1884 to 1904 it was listed as owned by James & Emmanuel of Abersychan and managed by R. Emmanuel. In 1896 it employed 105 men working underground and 13 men on the surface, the manager was E. Emmanuel and in 1899 it employed 90 men. It employed 36 men in 1901 and 41 men in 1902.

This level was worked in the Tillery (Brithdir) seam for house coal and was abandoned in May 1904.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page