Afan Lwyd Valley 259023.

This mine was worked up to the 1880s by the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Company Limited, probably initially to feed the British Iron Works. It had at least one airshaft which was 8 feet in diameter.

It was managed in 1878 by W.P. James. In the 1880’s the Ebbw Vale Company withdrew from coal mining in this area and leased out their collieries, this level being leased to E. Phelps. In 1893/6 it was owned by Lewis Jones and Company of Blackwood and in 1896 it employed 3 men underground and 2 men on the surface. The manager was J. Edmunds. In 1899 it employed 27 men, in 1901 it employed 20 men and in 1902 it employed 10 men. It was abandoned in 1902.

On the 4th of August 1868, Charles Jones, aged 40 and an ironstone miner died when he stepped back to avoid a roof fall, fell and fractured his skull.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.


Return to previous page